Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Croup

How do we tell it is truly winter??? Evan gets croup. He has these breathing issues every winter. He had such a horrible night. It started Mon. night and I thought his undiagnosed asthma was acting up so we gave him a breathing treatment of Albuterol and Pulmicort and it seemed a little better. He went to school on Tue. and they said he did fine there. Last night he started the barking cough and we did another treatment and attempted to go to bed. It got worse and worse. Evan has reflux so anytime he coughs more than a couple in a row he also vomits. There was no sleeping going on here. The shower was not helping so we wrapped him in a blanket and set on the deck in the freezing cold and while we were out there he would stop but the minute we came in it would start up again. We went into the Dr. today and she confirmed croup and gave him Prednisone in a dissolvable tablet - he didn't take the liquid well last winter. So we go home and I give him the tablet which he immediately starts vomiting back up. I call and they say try again so... I get smart and go to the bathroom and put him in the tub and try again... He had it in his mouth with this determined look to get this overwith and then I see his cheeks puff out and he covers his mouth and then just lets loose. I called the Dr. and they say to try again in the morning and if he doesn't take it then we will head back for a shot. So... we are pretty much where we were last night. Pray for a good nights rest... while your praying for us pray for Elijah and his family as they are in this same croupy boat.

5 comments:

Vanessa said...

Praying he feels better soon!

Kathy said...

Oh Sarah...Evan and Elijah...what's going on with these kiddos??

I hope that Evan can get some rest and the seal barking stops!
Once again...he's like my Eli...coughing so much until he throws up...I swear...I think they are twins separated at birth!

THanks for the update...so, keep updating!

Love,
kathy

The Portas said...

The Croupy Boat stinks! I am so sad that you have to ride in it, too. I don't know about Evan, but Elijah has a serious difficulty breathing when he gets croup, and IT IS SCARY. I hope he can get the steroids down and that that does the trick.

It doesn't seem fair that we have to deal with other scary things on top of our already really scary things.

Get better quickly, Evan! Sending you love and hugs..oxxo

Anonymous said...

I experienced croup when I was younger as well. I think I pretty much grew out of it after elementary school. I still have memories of the shower and the mornings sitting on the porch swing in the cold. Praying all goes well for you all and that this goes away quickly!

Kathy said...

Just wanted to wish you guys a Happy THanksgiving..

I hope that Mr. Evan is feeling better...and that you are all stuffed and holding down the couch!!!