Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cardio Update

I'm sick of snow. I don't remember a winter when we have had so much snow here. The kids are going to be going to school all summer. They are already reporting another good storm this weekend. Please hurry Spring...
Last Tue. night Evan woke up running a temperature and complaining of his ear. By complaining I mean screaming "my ear, my ear" over and over. Poor thing. He finally calmed down and sat up in bed and watched TV. I got an appointment for him the next morning and of course he fell back asleep just when it was time to get him up to get ready. This is his first ear infection since he was 3 months old. We missed 2 full nights of sleep. Thankfully the medicine kicked in and he is all better now, just 2 days of meds left. Funny story about the medicine... The Dr. came in and looked him over and said, "Evan, you have an ear infection... I wonder what kind of medicine I should prescribe you." Evan responded with, "well, I know what your not going to give me and that's liquids. I vomit liquids and I need a shot or a pill and I like the plastic pills best." When we got home and I opened his medicine bottle and pulled out this huge 500mg Augmentin pills I thought he would change his mind but nope... he was so happy it wasn't liquid. Crazy kid.
Last Thur. we had a cardio appointment. This was our first since November so I was anxious to get back and see what our cardio had to say. After his echo he told us that there is just no way to know what exactly is going on with that left pulmonary artery without doing a cath. They can tell that the artery is narrowed with the echo but not why. The valve is doing great, no leaks. He thinks they should do a cath. to find out why the artery is narrowed. He believes Evan's body has caused it. He does believe the surgery will need to be done again soon and probably this Summer. We are going back in Mar. and will probably schedule a cath. for Spring break. At this point his heart was not enlarged so it seems to be handling this well. Evan's lpa has always been small and been the main reason for cath's/surgery. If Evan's body *causes* it narrow I asked wouldn't it just continue on a new one. The response was if that was why then yes but if they were able to put a really big one in and it narrowed a little bit and he didn't grow a lot it would be good enough. Evan had a huge growth spurt after this last surgery. Like 10lbs. and 2 inches in 6 months. The hopes were and would be again if the surgery was redone, that the artery would last until adulthood where they could do it one last time. In the mean time Evan is doing just fine so, we'll see in March what they say.




This was after the first snow looking out off our deck.




Evan and his snowman.

4 comments:

The Portas said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the recent ear infection! I now know how very painful they are after having one myself. SUPER pain!! I'm glad Evan did well with the meds, and how grown up of him to take a big boy pill!

Sounds like Evan has the same issues with his LPA that Elijah has with his RPA. They can never see it well via echo, hence the reason we are always doing caths. At any rate, it's always good to get a better look and know exactly what is going on in that little body.

Have a great weekend! Sending you guys snowy hugs. :)

Smalltown RN said...

There's nothing worse than your child being ill. Reading your posts your son has been through so much. AT the same time he is a real trooper. It's amazing, children who have life altering aliments seem to have such "old" souls and are so mature for their years or should I say think very interspectively.

When my youngest daughter was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 8, I thought my world was going to fall apart. I got my strength from her.

I hope all goes well for Evan.

As for your snow...sounds like you are getting the winter we had last year. We had so much snow last year I couldn't believe it, we had snow right into March...totally unheard of where I live. This year we haven't even had a snow fall...granted there is snow on the mountains(where it should be and stay)but nothing locally....

All the best...you have a lovely blog.

Kathy said...

all the talk of snow is giving me goose bumps!
Come down for a visit anytime!
Seriously...he takes those Augmentin horse pills? I can't even swallow them! Tell him that I said he's a SUPERSTAR!
sorry that he needs a cath...it will be nice when these kiddos get their final parts replaced and don't have to worry about tune ups anymore. I'm waiting for that day too!
How are you doing?? You don't have to post it...you can email me...but, don't forget!!

Hug that sweetie pie for me,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hi

I am a stranger who came across your blog completely by accident. I have spent the afternoon reading with tears in my eyes, both of sorrow and awe. Evan sounds like a fantastic little boy!

I also have a son named Evan, now 10. I am not a religious person, so I will not pray for you, but you will be in my thoughts for a long time. Good luck and congratulations for having such a wonderful son and for being the caring and loving and strong parents that you obviously are.