Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Happy 1 year mendaversary Evan!

One year ago today we struggled with not getting an IV for versed and Evan wanting to walk into the operating room which resulted in me suiting up and carrying him in the OR.



I remember telling him it was going to be okay and that I Loved him and sitting him down on the operating table and holding his hand. I remember the nurses putting the mask on and talking to him and then him falling asleep. Someone - I can't remember who now - said "alright, get Mom out, everything will be fine, let's go." I remember walking back down all the halls I had carried him through slowly coming out of the suit and mask I had to dress in and walking out into the private waiting room where everyone stood and looked at me and dissolving into tears. We spent the rest of the time looking at pictures (a friend had made an album for us), praying, talking, getting updates, blogging, FB'ing, etc. until we got the news that it was over. Our little guy amazed us the next few days with his determination to go home, which he did 3 days later.




Today I continue to be amazed and blessed to be this little guy's Mommy. This morning a year later... I woke him up and asked what today is... he said "it's early release day from school" and I said "yes, what else" he said, "I'm getting my hair cut" and I said, "yes, what else" and he said, "I start Awana's tonight" and I said, "yes, what else" and he was out of answers... I told him that it had been one year ago today since his last surgery and this huge smile came across his face. I told him how much we love him and how proud we are of him - I went on to say "Your our Brave boy Evan" and he said "yep, I am."







4 comments:

Kathy said...

It doesn't even seem like it's been a year!
and Sarah...he is so brave. Tell Evan that I don't even think I could talk my teenager into going anywhere in a hospital without versed!

Hug him tight for us!

The Portas said...

Oh dear. You have me in a ball of tears here. Happy one year! You've come so far! Hugs to all of you. xo

Jenna said...

Hi
My name is Jenna and I came across your site. Evan is an amazing, courageous, strong and determined fighter. He is an amazing courageous, strong and determined fighter. He is a brave warrior, smilen champ and an inspirational hero. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and developmental delays. www.miraclechamp.webs.com

GoofyJ said...

Yay Evan! It's been neat to watch him grow and overcome so much over the years - I can't wait to meet you guys some time :-D