Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Bye Bye Juice

I can't believe I'm sharing this BUT... here goes. Evan is very attached to his "juice" (4 oz. Avent Bottle with water in it) he asks for it every nap time and bedtime also if he is scared or upset. He gave up the milk bottle pretty easily and on time but loved I mean LOVED his "juice." I talked to his pedi. about it and his pc - and everytime they would say that we needed to get him off of it he would have a procedure coming up and they would say to keep letting him have it. Like last April we were going to take it away and then the pc said to keep letting him have it as he knew that is the ONLY thing that calms him down and wanted something to calm him after his cath. So.... it's almost one year later and yeah, he still loves his "juice." I had decided that we would throw away all extra's so we wouldn't be tempted and just let the current "juice" wear out. Last Thursday I went to pick Evan up after work and my mom just stood there - looking very tired holding the "juice" with the nipple hanging by a thread and Evan crying at her feet pitifully. He said so sadly, "Mommy look, look at what happened to my juice." I felt so sad for him, Mom later told me she thought of going to get a new one but knew I would be able to tell. He has gotten much enjoyment from that little bottle - I'm putting a slide show together to prove that he was in LOVE with it. Anyway, no turning back huh? That night at bedtime I got out all his usual sippy cups and reminded him that "juice" was broke and that he needed to pick something else out to drink "juice" aka water in (we had tried this before but, he did not see the evidence and did not go for it). He picked out a Nuby cup from Wal-mart and although he has talked about his broke "juice" he has not asked for it since! I'm amazed and cannot believe that we are actually through with "juice!"
Evan's Vent. Perf. Scan is next Thur., the 22nd. Pray for a good outcome and some more time before another procedure needs to be done. Mostly for wisdom of the Dr.'s, whom we love, and their finding the right time that's needed for Evan to expand the stent and repair the leaky valve. Pray for us too - as this will be the first procedure without "juice" LOL.

2 comments:

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

As always...
in our prayers....

good luck w/o juice...
Matthew has never had juice...
so good thing huh!!!!

SUGGS FAMILY said...

I hope things are going well without Juice! I took Miles' bottle all at once - just threw them away. The first night was the hardest. He actually soothed himself to sleep with cheetos, that was funny! But he has done so well and I know Evan will too.