Friday, February 23, 2007

Updates on Yesterday

Well, our big day is over and I'm thankful that for the most part everything is well. My 2nd cousin's baby - Evelynn had her cath. and did well - they are scheduling her surgery within the next 2 weeks and we should know the exact date by Monday. My cousin, Eric, had his surgery and they removed a 2 lb. cancerous tumor that was contained in his right kidney - the doctor said the cancer had not spread and that he believes he will NOT require chemo or radiation but will know for sure next week when the results come back from pathology.

Evan's appointment went well. Dr. McOmber said that if someone handed him the EKG he would not think it was for a person with a CHD that had repair OHS for TOF - perfectly normal! He said that Evan looks and sounds amazing BUT that although he can see the blood flow in the left pulmonary artery that the only way to be sure the pressure's are still acceptable since the stent implementation last April is to do another Ventilation Perfusion Scan - ARGH! He said that they have to keep an eye on this in order to keep Evan well that, this is not looking for somthing wrong but to just to maintain they will have to check the pressures every so often. He said that if this Vent. Perf. Scan shows the same results as last time (I'll have to go back and look but I think it was 71% to the right, 29% to the left after the stent, pre-stent 85%-r and 15%-l) than maybe we can just check it once a year. If the results are not as good as the scan they did last July than that would mean back to the cath. lab to widen the stent some more. So, all in all it is really good news I just hate that they will have to put him to sleep for this test and I can only imagine knowing how last time went how upset Evan was, that when he realizes where we are and what is happening he will lose it. He is older and he asks lots of questions to which we will have to be truthful with him about - he will be so upset about getting an IV and it's so hard to watch how he fights the sedation. After such a long day yesterday and my emotions being on edge I sat down to watch my favorite show, Grey's Anatomy, and man did I let loose - I cried and cried and cried. The Vent. Perf. Scan will be scheduled on Mon. so hopefully we can do this soon and go on the once a year scan.

4 comments:

Krystal said...

Whew -- that was a big day! So sorry that Evan has to go through another Vent Perf Scan so soon. Hopefully he will understand a little better now that he is older . . . he is such a trooper, I'm sure he will be fine. I'll be praying for good results!!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Aww... it's hard isn't it...
I'm sorry.... :-( Did you feel better after a good hard cry??
I usually do.... at least until my next good hard cry!

They have always done Matthew's IV, only when he's already asleep.... can't they do the same thing???

It's so sad to see our little soldiers go thru anything uncomfortable...

My thoughts and prayers are with you... we know what you're feeling...

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Hello, this is a response to your question:

Yep, the Anesthesiologist put a mask over his face and Matthew went to sleep, we were able to stay there and comfort him until he was asleep. GREAT!!!

This was done for two catscans and his endoscopy.

Before every procedure they need an IV.. I be sure to call ahead and ask for this. I know what you're going thru... I stress big time over the whole IV thing.

At Stanford, weeks before his heart surgery, I called the PA to see if they could put him to sleep before putting in the IV.. so they did this during the catscan the day b/f the sugery ... we even took him to Ronald McDonald House w/ two IV's stuck to him (they were all wrapped up though).

Thank goodness b/c it took two hours to get in an arterial line for the surgery, but at least they had an IV access to knock him out first.

I just feel for these little guys...
and it hurts my heart. I often look and Matthew and just cry b/c I know that there is more of this stuff to come.

These little heart kids are such wonderful kids... and they really suffer more than most do in a lifetime.

Anonymous said...

Hoping all went well. I've been out of the computer world for a while. Sending prayers your way