Wednesday, January 23, 2008

RAD

No, I'm not trying to go back to my childhood and be cool - that is what Evan was diagnosed with Monday. On Sun. during naptime Evan started having this croupy cough and I thought, uhoh, here we go, he has croup again. Sunday night he started running a fever and the cough got worse so, I called in Mon. and took him to the Dr. She said he sounded very squeaky and gave him a breathing treatment (pulmicort and albuterol) which afterwards he sounded better. We were told to do 3 treatments a day and come back Fri. to see how things are going. Evan doesn't much like the treatments but, thought he sounded a bit like Darth Vader and kept telling me, "Luke, I am your fader." This kid is growing up and fast, he LOVES Star Wars, his Daddy is so proud, his Mama well, most of the time I have no idea what he is talking about. They said that Reactive Airway Disease is seen w/ heart kids (Becky, doesn't Miles have this?). He has a virus where the only symptom is a high fever that comes down with Tylenol but returns to 102.5 as soon as it wears off. I don't believe he has ever had a fever this high. He does good during the day but, has a hard time sleeping - seemed to be talking out of his head last night. I feel so bad when he is coughing his head off, I have enjoyed lots and lots of snuggles the past 3 days though. Say a prayer for my little guy.
ADD: during our snuggle time we have watched a lot more TV than usual and with this Evan has picked up on 2 things.
1) Evan said he had a new favorite song which he began to sing, "Nationwide is on your side."
2) He started telling me that all citizens need Life Alert. I always start laughing and he is so serious, he said, "Mommy, I'm not kidding if you fall and you are on fire you need life alert, it said all sitzens (he has no idea) need life alert."

3 comments:

Krystal said...

Oh, poor Evan! I hope that your little guy is feeling better soon! I had never heard that RAD was common with heart kids - one more thing to look out for!

The Portas said...

Oh my, I can't stop laughing about the Life Alert comment. That is too funny!!

I hope he starts feeling better soon. I hate hate hate hearing our little one cough. :( No fun.

Anonymous said...

I hate that virus - Jacob had it a while ago - high fever - his fever was hanging out around 103-104 and he was miserable. I hope he is all better now.