Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Cath. Date

The Dr. called with a few options on cath. dates and we decided that although it sounds so soon having it done before school starts would be best. The pre-op will be on Friday, Aug. 1st and the cath. on the following Mon., Aug. 4th.
So... I guess on Monday evening we'll tell Evan and begin preparing him. He did so well with the scan but, we were able to promise him things with the scan. We were able to tell him if he was brave and got the IV he could go without the Versed up the nose (which he hates) and that we would be able to leave and do something fun. There is nothing to promise him with the cath. All I'll be able to tell him is what will happen not options that if you do this it will be better. He knows now what a cath. means and will immediately begin asking I'm sure about Versed. I believe Versed will be necessary as without it would be mean walking into the cath. lab with no meds if he didn't have it and although he is strong I'm sure that would be hard. He will ask if he has to be without us and yes he will when he wakes up in recovery. He'll ask if he has to stay the night and yes, he will have to stay 24 hrs. in ICU. He is 4 though and I have to prepare him, I can't walk into the hospital and him be blindsighted by what will happen. This is going to be tough.

3 comments:

The Portas said...

Would promising him things AFTER the cath is done help? Like, go out to eat at your favorite place, or get a toy.. I'm not looking forward to the day when bad things will be understood. You're paving the way for me! You're my pioneer! No, really, I'm sure everything will be fine. We will say some prayers for you all...and for some good Versed! :)

xoxoxo

Rebecca said...

That little man has been through sooooo much. I'll be praying for and thinking of all three of you!

Kathy said...

you know...I left you a comment a few days ago...I don't know where it went (or silly me might not have pressed "publish"...
anyway...I think your job is a hard one. THe older the kids get, I just can't imagine the questions, the worry...what the heck do you tell them?? Just give him everything...he deserves it...Put up your Christmas tree, fill it with presents...and just have a big fat celebration! (that's my motto) and...i"ll probably be living in a card board box this time next year...but, who cares!
Can they just give him oral versed?? Gosh...I wouldn't like it up the nose at that age either!
Prayers for you guys!
Let us know how it went.
lots of love,
kathy