Friday, October 13, 2006

Croup

Evan has not been feeling well. Woke up last Sat. night coughing and couldn't stop. We took him into the bathroom with the shower running on full hot to try to help things, it really sounded like his airway was shutting off and I was debating on a trip to the ER. He could not lay down, even reclined, if he was on his back in any way he was coughing. I ended up sleeping from about 3:00am, holding him in his bed leaned up against the wall, hard to do now that he is 37 lbs. I tried to take him to the recliner but he cried (which made the coughing worse) wanting to stay in his room. We made it to morning like that and I called our emergency # at the pedi. office and they opened to see him. It was croup and they put him on a 3 day steroid and Benedryl. Poor little guy, he really had me worried. Sat. night my mind was spinning thinking about how this is the first year since his birth that we haven't had RSV shots during these months and then the what if's and what should I do's started. I was so thankful for our pedi. office opening up Sun. morning to see him! He is doing better, still a little cough but lots better. We have our local Arts & Crafts fair this weekend so I believe my DH is going to keep Evan and let my mom and I have some fun shopping so I'm really looking forward to that. The zoo here is opening at nights on the weekend for Boo at the Zoo where you can dress up and go trick or treating there. We had planned on doing that this Sun. evening with some friends but we will have to see how Evan is doing. He is going to be a T-Rex for Halloween and is so excited about that. We (Eric and I) have been asked to find a baby sitter after the zoo trick or treating and all us adults go to Waverly Hills Sanatorium for a tour. I'm scared to death but Eric thinks it would be really neat to go tour it. For those that aren't familiar it is an old hospital that was built for the tuberculosis epidemic in Louisville in 1926 you can read some about it here; http://www.prairieghosts.com/waverly_tb.html. I haven't made up my mind as to if I'm going but if I do I'll have lots to write on Monday because I'm already terrified just thinking about it. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope Evan's feeling better!

I read the link to the Sanatorium - and all I have to say is HELL NO! I'm creeped out just from reading about it - and I live hundreds of miles away!