Thursday, October 26, 2006

2 year Post-op Anniversary Today!!!



















I cannot believe it has already been two years ago today that we handed our little Braveheart over to Dr. Austin for repair for Tetralogy of Fallot. Last night I was thinking back to the night before and how we took pictures of Evan all day long and told him he was going on a mended heart trip. I remember when we left pre-op that day that we let him have ice-cream and took pictures with his pumpkin in his costume since we would be in the hospital for Halloween. I remember rocking him to sleep and singing to him and once he had fallen to sleep rocking him and praying to God to please protect him and to let the surgery be a success and to protect the surgeon and Eric coming in and telling me to lay him down and us both sobbing once leaving his room at what tomorrow would hold. Worrying that he would wake up after midnight and want a bottle and what in the world we would do. Thankfully he slept that night. I remember trying real hard to be strong walking into the hospital that morning and looking around the waiting room and wondering if everyone else was as scared as we were. Things went fast after we went back and they anesthesiologist came and said we'll be ready in just a few minutes and all I wanted to do was run with my baby. They came and I thought I would collapse watching them walk away with him. Heart families also have their own waiting room so we went there where friends and family were waiting for us and we waited. The first update I will never forget, the nurse came in and told us that Dr. Austin had rocked Evan to sleep, that meant so much to us to know he was being cared for in such a compassionate way. We held our breath for the hourly updates from our nurse and when they came with news we prayed and then began the wait again. Seeing him for the first time after surgery was scary. I looked beyond the wires and tubes and saw my little baby and began to sing our song that we always sang to the tune of "Que Sara, Sara", "When I was just a little boy, I asked my mommy what will I be, will I be handsome, will I be bright and here is what she said to me, Hey Evan, Evan, whatever will be will be, the future's not our's to see, Evan, Evan what will be will be." The next few days were rough and I became addicted to the monitors and drove the PICU crazy and then just six days later we were headed home.

Eric and I watched the HBO film, "Something the Lord Made" last night and after the movie was over I just kept thinking, "Wow, we have those two men who innovated heart surgery that our little braveheart is alive today." Great movie and I highly recommend you heart families out there to get it. Tomorrow I have the day off and Evan and I are delivering muffins and cupcakes to the Doctors that are over Evan's care. Evan is excited to see Dr. McOmber, his beloved cardio.

Today is an important day for another reason, It is Eric's 33rd Birthday!!! When they called 2 years ago and told us the date I just looked at Eric like ??? and he instantly said, "This will be the best birthday present ever!" That is him, my unselfish husband that thinks of Evan and I before himself always. So tonight we are celebrating with his favorite dish and cake and then tomorrow night with his extended family. Happy 33rd Birthday Eric, we love you!

2 comments:

Krystal said...

Happy 2 years!!! This is such an amazing anniversary and definitely good reason to celebrate :)

Anonymous said...

I saw that movie too and was so amazed! I can't believe how technology has advanced even from when i was a baby in the hospital!

S-