Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Received "The Call"

The heart board meeting was this past Monday and all the Dr.'s were there and were able to discuss Evan and the options. The plan is to do a Homograft which is a donor valve and artery. This sounds like a big surgery. (Aren't they all?) The surgeons thoughts on the other options were, that if he was in there why wouldn't he be fixing the problem instead of patching it over to be done later. Potentially he said this could be forever, although that is rare. Usually this needs to be replaced in 10 years, so in his late teens. There is also a need for it to be replaced sooner if it calcifies. We are waiting for a call from the surgeon to decide a date but the cardio feels that fall break would be best for Evan to keep his routine as normal as possible, and that is Oct. 20th.
We have been living life pretty normally for the most part - how can you not when he doesn't know and we have been living normally (our normal) pretty much since his 1st surgery. When explaining things to others I often feel like I'm talking about an episode on Hopkins and not my child. Do you know what I mean? You talk about it with a straight face and then walk away and think about it and cry. Honestly, I think I've done very well - much better than I expected myself to be doing. I think Evan being the age he is has helped... How can you worry about this when you have this child running and jumping and singing his favorite song, Taylor Swifts "Our Song." (I'll have to record him and post it here... it is so cute!) I'll post some pic's once we get home.
Anyone reading this have experience with homografts??? You know me... I'll be researching this.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

So, he's getting a cadaver valve and Pa?? Isaac has a cadaver valve, but his own pa. But, what's the difference when they put in bovine valves...I thought those lasted longer. Would you research all of that for me...I'll need to know all of those answers too!
Keep doing what you're doing...you've got yourself an amazing young man..who's here to do amazing things!!!
lots of love,
kathy

The Portas said...

Our surgeon told us that the only reason he uses cadaver valves is when a bovine valve won't fit. Bovine valves are typically bigger and last longer. So, I'm curious, too, why they've decided on a cadaver valve. Maybe I'll research that, too, to satisfy my own curiosity! :)

At least you have The Date. October 20th sounds like a good day! Elijah was born on February 20th, so that's a good number! Evan will do just great...and you will, too. We'll all be surrounding you with prayer. Things will go just great. That's a special little man you've got there (the singing is ADORABLE!), and he's going to do awesome.

Take care!! xoxoxoxoxo

Kathy said...

I was just checking in to see what you've found in your research...

be brave mama!!!!
Your little man will do awesome!

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

This is Shannon Poe... I used to work with Eric and helped raise some funds for last year's heart walk. My cousin Jessica (who was Evan's nurse when he had his surgery) and I would like to join a team and raise funds again for this year's walk. Since we both know Evan, we were hoping you would allow us to join his Team Brave Hearts. Please let me know when you guys start organizing for this year's event. You can reach me by phone at 502-303-8227 or by email at shannonpoe@bellsouth.net. Thanks, and hope everything is going well.

Sincerely,
Shannon Poe