Friday, September 05, 2008

We have a date

I received the call today. Because of scheduling issues and not wanting Evan's surgery to be late in the week (any of you heart families know why, don't you?) we have agreed upon a date for Evan's 2nd open heart surgery to replace his pulmonary artery and valve, September 29th.

Evan had just fallen asleep when I received the call and for that I'm thankful. I had 2 hours to just let it out - all of these emotions I've been keeping locked. It is a somewhat helpless, powerless feeling - knowing there is nothing I can do to prevent this from happening or protecting him from it, as it is what is needed. Oh how it hurts. I think I had already prepared for the tentative Oct. 20th date and this seems oh so soon. After I pulled myself together I started thinking about how we would feel about this when Oct. 20th rolls around and we are on the other side of this.

I also had a call yesterday with the cardio to ask questions I had concerning the decision chosen to do a Homograft. The question I had was why cadaver was chosen over bovine and the reason I was given was that bovine valves are taken from the neck and do not include the artery branches. Evan's main problem is his left pulmonary artery. Evan's valve is leaking on the severe side but... they would not be replacing it now if they weren't going in already to replace the left pulmonary artery. The cadaver valve comes with the artery branches so that is what that option was chosen. I also wondered that since this is donor would he need rejection med's and he explained that since this is not a complete working part it is not needed, so that is good. I also asked if there is ever a wait for a match. His response was that, it had happened but once a date was chosen they would be looking to see if there was a match and if there was it would be reserved for him. On this.... I have always thought that being a donor was good, that I would do it myself but now.... oh thank GOD for the decision the donors and their families made. What a bittersweet topic...

So we have 3 weeks... This weekend is our Team Brave Hearts golf scramble benefiting AHA. I believe next weekend we will go away for a long weekend to just do something really fun and be together - I'm thinking Indianapolis to their zoo, then stay at their hotel with indoor waterpark and then to the children's museum the next day - Evan will love that. I believe that on Sept. 22nd we'll be going to the cardio so he can explain things to Evan and prepare him. If you see us between now and then please don't mention this in front of him. We do not want him to be worried and scared for 3 weeks. We have agreed that the cardio will explain everything to him and then that will give us a week to deal with the emotions as a family with him. September 26th will be pre-op. September 27th is our heart walk - I'm sure that will be a very emotional day. That will bring us all too quickly to September 29th.

Please pray for Evan... pray for us as parents to be strong... pray for the Dr.'s and nurses that will be caring for him and for the overall success of the surgery. It means so much to get the notes, calls, emails, etc. I'm saying this now because I seem to isolate myself but it truly means so much when someone asks and shows their concern for Our Little Braveheart.

4 comments:

The Portas said...

You know, I just truly believe that the date was moved up for a GOOD reason. We don't know what that reason is, and we may never know, but that is when Evan's surgery is meant to happen. I empathize with you sooo much. This is such a tough time and there's really nothing anyone can do to make the ickiness go away. PLEASE know, though, that we will walk through this with you, and we'll be holding you up the entire way. You will get through this, Evan will do super, and before you know it it will be behind you.

I LOVE the zoo, waterpark, hotel idea. What a good treat for him! And also, great idea on letting the card explain it all. You're such a good mama. You know just what is right for your little one.

We'll be saying lots of prayers in the next few weeks. Please let me know if you ever want another heart mom to cry to. :) xoxoxoxoxo

Krystal said...

I am praying for everyone involved. I can't imagine how hard this is right now, but I am really glad that the surgery date is sooner than you thought. Just like you said, Oct 20 will roll around and you will be passed all of this :)

Heart hugs to you!

SUGGS FAMILY said...

I did get your msg - thanks! Great information, I really appreciate it! I will keep you guys and Evan in my prayers as the surgery approaches.

hugs,
Becky

Kathy said...

Sarah,

I left you a message to this post days ago..and it's gone..did you take it??

Silly me...could have forgotten to click "publish".

Girl...I know that you are worried...and rightfully so. But, you have an awesome plan set out in preparation for all of this. I think it's wonderful all the family time that you'll get to spend together and then..not telling him until a week before. (I'm remembering all your tips to use when Isaac's older).

I know that you said you isolate yourself...well, just stop that. You have SO many people that love you guys. Keep us updated, and we'll all be here to hug you and offer our support!
Love always,
Kathy