Friday, October 26, 2007

Evan's Mendaversary & Hubby's Birthday (FFF)

Today is Evan's 3rd "mend"aversary since his open heart surgery. I always try to spend some time this day with him doing something he really wants to do and we also usually deliver goodies and cards to his cardiologist. Its hard to put into words the way I feel each year as this day passes - the sadness of remembering what he went through - the gratefulness that he came through it - the anxiety of wondering when/if he will have to go through it again - thankfulness for the time God has given us together - thankful for the Doctors and Nurses that have and continue to care for him. So many different emotions. The favorite pictures today are of him after his first cardiologist appointment and one I had made a few weeks ago.


























Today is also hubby's 34th birthday. I think I've told this before but, I'll tell it again. Gearing up for Evan's surgery - being the OCD person I am, I had to plan. There were so many things out of my control so I went a little overboard on the things I could control - cleaning, packing, sorting, doing things a certain time, perfection. I also was engulfed with the need for knowledge about what was going on searched and asked questions to anyone and everyone I thought could help - I also probably drove his doctors crazy and had given my cell phone as the contact number for all the doctors. I was sitting at work one Wednesday afternoon and my cell rang and it was the head nurse from the cardiologist saying that the surgeon was going on a 2 week vacation and that he had a cancellation and could fit Evan in before he left in TWO DAYS - that Friday morning. I just started crying and crying and couldn't stop - what was this lady thinking calling a person that was preparing for this surgery and telling them they could do it in 2 days - all I kept saying to her was no, no we can't - I need to wash his favorite clothes and get his favorite toys together and clean my house and.... She said it's okay - I just wanted you to have the option we can schedule it when he gets back. I hung up and left work - ran to get Evan and just held him wondering how I would ever prepare for this. The nurse got smart and changed the contact number to Eric's cell phone and when they called to reschedule they called him. So, Eric called me and said well, we have a surgery date... I ran through the list... Is it on Tuesday or Wednesday so we will be at the hospital during the week and have the best care, is he first case, can this nurse be here that day, did you ask these questions..... He calmly said, yes yes yes to all the questions and said okay, do you want to hear it (pause) It's October 26th. WHAT?!?!?!? That's your birthday!!!! To which he replied, It's okay, it will be the best birthday present ever. And it was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really awesome - it definitely would be the best birthday present ever. Ours turned into the best Easter ever. :) So wishing a Happy birthday and a happy Mendaversary - what wonderful things to celebrate! :)

The Portas said...

That is really a sweet story. Happy mendaversary AND hubby bday!!!