Friday, December 21, 2007

Me & Christmas

Sorry for no photo last Friday, our visit with Santa didn't go so well. Evan did great, he was so excited, it was Santa, can you believe it? The little kid in front of us got down and left so it was Evan's turn and I nudged him and said okay, it's your turn buddy and he walked right up to get on Santa's lap and Santa put his hand out and said, "You'll have to wait, they are not ready to take your picture yet." HUH??? My response - "We are not here to get a picture we are here to see Santa." Santa then looked down at Evan and Evan began telling him that he had been good and that he was sorry for when he had been bad and then his list of requests. Santa never said anything, never attempted to pick Evan up or anything. I was so disappointed. We are going to a Christmas party tomorrow and my Papaw is going to show up in a Santa suit so hopefully he'll be nice ; ) of course Evan didn't notice that Santa was less than Mommy expected.
Now for the title of the post. Something with me & Christmas is off. It started back in my Jr. yr. of HS when on Christmas Eve I started having horrible pain in my bottom. By Christmas day I was unable to sit down. I made it through and my parents took me to immediate care early the day after Christmas where I was rushed into immediate surgery for a polinidle cyst. Then the Christmas Evan was born we had a huge ice storm that shut down the town that Eric & I live in just outside of Louisville. We left Evan at my parents and drove the long and slow drive home to get our Christmas presents and check on the house. On the way back I began having a headache and wrote it off to driving so long in an ice storm. By Christmas morning I knew something was wrong, I was having such a hard time focusing and the room seemed to be slightly moving. The symptoms kept intensifying until I went to the Dr. a few days later and was diagnosed with Virtigo. I was out of commission as far as driving or being alone with Evan and put on disability for 2 months at which time it went away. Now this Christmas. On Monday after arriving at work I kept complaining about how cold it was. My feet felt like they were freezing - like in an ice bucket. When I got home I couldn't wait to take my socks and shoes off and wrap them in a heated blanket. When I got my shoes off I realized that to the touch my feet felt warm but my feet also didn't feel the touch. Yep, my feet have been numb/asleep since Monday! I went to the Dr. today and was told that looking back on my records I have always been borderline anemic - well not anymore - I crossed the line. They gave me a big B12 shot and took lots of blood work and warned me that the shot could be a weekly thing. They said some people get feeling back immediately after their B12 shot - so far I haven't. After telling my folks I found out I have 2 Aunts and 1 Cousins w/ pernicious anemia and that is hereditary. Good Grief.

3 comments:

Dave Richards said...

I hope you will get well soon. Merry Christmas and take care.

Raine said...

Hi Sarah,
It is unfortunate that your doctor waited until you went below what is a normal reference level for B12. You could have avoided the numb feet, pins and needles that affect all pernicious anaemia patients. You will feel better with B12 shots but it does take time, depending on how you respond to treatment. Ask your doctor to check your folate level and ferritin levels as well. You need a healthy supply of B12, folate and ferritin in order for your body to produce healty red blood cells. If you are low in either folate or ferritin, it will take much longer for you to feel better. The website for the Pernicious Anaemia Society is www.pernicious-anaemia-society.org..there is a lot of information on the site and yes pernicious anaemia is inherited. If you have siblings, they should be checked for PA as well as your own children.
I hope you do pick up now. Merry Christmas.
Pat Kornic, Pernicious Anaemia Society Canadian Representative.

The Portas said...

Soo sorry to hear about the numb feet. Hopefully the B12 will help out!

The Santa story...ug, what a dumb Santa! I would have felt the same way.