Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Now we all know...

Evan did good at the consult yesterday. Our cardio told him that he had the results of his cath and that his "straw" was pinched and that they couldn't fix it in the cath lab. He told him that meant they would have to do another surgery but that since he is big they hoped to put an adult size in and hopefully it would be a really really long time or never that he has to do this again. Evan was very quiet and just said okay and that he would be glad if they didn't have to do it again. He also said he didn't want to take Versed before the surgery but that he would like to walk in like he did for his cath. The cardio told him if he was sure then he would let him and Evan said he was sure. Dr. later told us that when Evan had his cath it was the first time he had ever had a kid or let a kid walk into a cath with no loopy meds before hand and that if he did it with the surgery that would be a first for the hospital. He said when Evan walked into his cath there were no issues, no tears and that he thought Evan prefered it because he had some control. So… we will see about that. When we left I told him that he had been wanting to do some things and why didn't he pick one and we ended up going to eat lunch at Culvers and seeing Despicable Me. It was cute. He had been wanting to go fishing too - he was so excited his Daddy took him this past weekend. He seems to be doing okay… later in the day yesterday he told me he was scared and asked if I was sad and I told him yes that I was sad he had to have it again but glad they could fix it. He told me he was okay. He wanted to call people and let them know so he called his grandparents, uncle and his best friend. It was sad hearing him… I'm so proud of how strong he is but so sad at all he has gone through that has made him that way. He is my brave boy.

3 comments:

The Portas said...

I love the fish pic!! How fun!

It makes me so very sad that all of this weighs so heavy on Evan's little heart. Please give him a big hug for me and also know that I will be praying for peace for all of you.

He IS such a big, brave boy and everything is going to go great. It will be such a huge relief to have this behind you!

Kathy said...

Make me cry Sarah...
I know those are all the things that all the kids say...I guess I'm just glad that Isaac isn't talking yet and telling me...
it just breaks my heart...
but, I seriously can't believe how brave Evan is. Really...when he grows up and reads about all this...he isn't going to believe what an awesome kiddo he was!
I wish I was there to hug him tight..
and tell him that Eli is SUPER jealous of the fish!

Anonymous said...

i love the fish pics.sarah will be having surgery on the 17th...ugh!!!
we will keep him and your family in our prayers...

x0x0x
the heukes