Thursday, July 08, 2010

We have a date....

We got a call late yesterday from surgery scheduling with a date for Evan's surgery. When the nice lady said, "I have the date for Evan's surgery" and I said "okay" and she responded with "It's August 12th with preop on the 11th." I could only think she was kidding. But, she wasn't. SCHOOL STARTS AUG. 11TH!!! Evan's cardio called me today and I said, "say it ain't so". He didn't know about the date and was sorry when I told him.... he said he thought with a month we had more than enough time to get him in before school. He said that with "his" kids, scheduling does take a little longer because he wants in on the surgery. He wants to be in on Evan's surgery and I told him we did too... that I wouldn't want it switched if he couldn't be there. He said he would have his schedule person call the other peds cardio office in town's schedule person and let them know that if they have a surgery come open that he would like it for Evan - of course it has to be a day he is available too. He also has us on backup for another surgery he has already scheduled for July but, more than likely it will be Aug. 12th. He wants to talk to Evan and wants it to be before the end of July... just in case Evan's gets bumped up. So, we have a meeting on July 19th at noon so he can talk to Evan. Evan is still asking questions here and there - some of them just breaks my heart. He has a little dog at his Granny's house and he told me the other night, "Mommy... if I die before you do will you take care of Babe?" I sat up thinking, why oh why Evan do you say these things!!! I told him that God has amazing things planned for him and that he is going to grow up and be something awesome, like a heart surgeon helping other kids and he is going to be married to a beautiful girl and have kids and that he would drop them off at my house like I do him and I'll be the Mamaw!" He liked this and went on saying happy things. He ask here and there is I know yet and so far I haven't lied because I haven't known a date and now I do... I'm trying my best to keep him busy. We have a long fun weekend planned so just another month to go (rolling eyes.) I'm so sad and frustrated and thankful Evan's case isn't urgent, all rolled up into one. I think this will be really hard on Evan at school. On the first day... it is everyones first day - you meet your teacher - meet your classmates - get assigned seats, etc. Evan will be going in 3-4 weeks later when a routine is already established. I think he will struggle socially with this - feeling different and left out. Ugh... tears rolling just thinking about it. Say a prayer... if this is Evan's date then it is for a reason.

I have had some asks why their messages aren't showing here... if you do not have a google account and you post a message click on Anonymous and then put your name at the end of your message in the message box.

Enjoy the pictures of Evan having some summer fun in his little pool. Look at his hair!!! He wanted it just like his Dad's - short!


2 comments:

The Portas said...

Oh, sweet boy. I wish I could help to take away that pain/anxiety.

As for the surgery date, just remember that things happen when they are meant to happen. Sometimes that doesn't align with our timing, but we have to trust in God's timing. I know that's really inconvenient for school, but it will all work out. Maybe things will get changed yet, too. Keep us posted! Still praying..

Kathy said...

Gosh...your schools start really early! Eli doesn't even get out of school here until Aug. 4th!

I hope Mr. Evan doesn't stress himself out. you do an awesome job of easing his mind...that's why you're his super mom!

and that pool looks too fun! Hug him tight for me.
You can ask him if there's anything special that we could send him to make the hospital stay a little easier.
(new lightsabers...comics, movies...you name it)
Hug him tight for us!
kathy