Monday, July 17, 2006

Parenting

Two year olds, whew what a handful. Evan has been getting a little better controlling his temper lately. I believe that being able to spend a little time every week with other kiddos is helping him. He is still very stingy and bossy. He is always with adults, either Eric & I or my mom & dad and now that he is not on any restrictions and we are able to take him out and about, he was having a real issue with other kids. It was really sad to see him look so out of his element and angry that someone else wanted to play with his toys, or theirs for that matter, he thinks everything is his. In our recent play dates it made me feel like a horrible parent when all I'm doing is saying, "Evan don't take that away, Evan don't hit, Evan don't push, Evan share, Evan be easy." You don't want your kid to be "that kid." So, Eric and I and my parents have been working really hard at trying to get a handle on this and make Evan mind. Some kids you can look at them and they melt and don't do whatever they were acting out at again but Evan, he has such a strong will and nothing seems to work. We tried the naughty mat (Super Nanny idea, I'd like to see her come to my house) and he told me, "Thanks mommy, I like this mat" ARGH!!! He is really spoiled being the only child and only grandchild there is no one for him to have to share with on a daily basis but, we started him in Sunday school about 3 months ago and it really seems to be helping. They claim he is an angel in there and this Sun. we went to a birthday party and there were lots of kids and Evan did really good with sharing and just had a blast, I was so proud of him and felt just like one of the other parents. I'm sure that doesn't really make sense but, in the beginning I was holding on to him for dear life and wouldn't let him out of my sight and then after his surgery I did but like I said was always getting on to him and then this past week I've been able to just watch him blossom and play and just relax more and let him be him. It's funny how we mold our children and my fear of him getting sick or hurt kept him from being a part of things which affected his behavior when kids were allowed to come around and that it took me relaxing and gaining ahold of myself for Evan to be the sweet loving little boy in public that he is in private. So yeah, two year olds what a handful but what a blessing!

1 comment:

Krystal said...

OK -- he told you thanks for the naughty mat -- that's got to be one of the funniest things I've ever heard!!! Atleast he's appreciative ;) It's great to see that he's making progress and that you can relax a little. He always sounds like such a sweetheart, it's hard to imagine him acting up with other kids!