Saturday, October 04, 2008

Pre-Op is over - Mon. is the Big Day

Things have been going well. The cancellation last week was a blessing in disguise. I got to spend a week uninterrupted with my little guy and we just had some really nice together time.
Yesterday was pre-op. We were to be at the cardio at 9:00 for a complete exam and then on to the hospital for blood draw's, x-rays, urinalysis, etc. Also to meet with all the Dr.'s and nurses that will be on his case for Monday. Let me tell you that my little brave guy had a hard time with blood draw's. He was brave and let them do it - all 4 times - but, he let him know (very loudly) that he did NOT like it one bit. I don't blame him. They had such a hard time getting blood. Once that was over he was rewarded with a slushy and a visit to the play room. I stayed back to talk to Dr.'s and nurses. There was a moment I was alone and saw our nurse on the phone and heard her mention Evan's Dr.'s name and then seemed upset. Let me tell you that my anxiety went over the edge and I was praying over and over that she was not about to give me bad news. She disappeared and my panic increased. I finally asked another nurse to please go find her. She came around the corner crying and I thought... brace yourself Sarah... She said, "I'm so sorry... I'm stupid... I sent his blood wrong and we have to redo the blood draw." I breathed a huge sigh of relief and told her that was okay... Little did she know of how she sent my mind racing into a bad place - I would so much to always get the news straight. They did the blood draw again and everything came back fine.
We went to see the surgeon and he is awesome. He could not believe how much Evan had grown and how well he looked with all he has going on. Evan really does look awesome. He said that he was going to do a homograft and should be done by mid afternoon. He seemed very confident and believed we could be home in 5 days... We left the hospital and all I could think about was that in one week would could possibly be already leaving again for home!!! I'm so ready for this and for it to be over.
We have some other news but... I'm saving it for our first post from home. Any guesses???
I'll be posting from the hospital as I can. If I can't post, I'll have someone else do so at least once a day.
Please say a prayer for Evan - that surgery is a complete success and that he handles things well, cooperates with the nurses and Dr.'s and recovers from this quickly.
Thank you for checking in, praying and supporting us and our little Brave Heart.
Check out the pic's of Evan and his BFF at the pirates and princess' party at the zoo.

2 comments:

Krystal said...

We are praying!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you all are in my prayers and the kids' prayers too, I'm sure. I've been thinking of you all lots and am confident all will go well. Please keep us posted on how things are going. Love, Kay